Friday, October 28, 2011

Subway systems bonanza

During a conversation with Nam, my colleague at my new job, the subway (underground railway network) of Moscow came up. He thought that was the largest in the world. I didn’t even know they had one. In Toronto the subway operation is pretty small, may be in total about 50 stations, coverage is okay East to West but minimal on the North-South direction. I lived in Ajax. There’s very tiny possibility of this town ever seeing the face of a subway station, considering each kilometer of subway roughly costs over 700 million dollars to build. We are stuck with driving. The other option is over the ground railway network – Go. Not a bad ride but limited service.


Anyway, when Nam told me there are more than 500 subway stations in Moscow I was already questioning his sanity (in my mind). It didn’t take me too long to find out the truth. Here’s the comparison:


I then went on to find out how the other large subways in the world looks like.


Moscow:

 














New York:















London:













Seol:












Paris:















Tokyo:














Mexico City:
















Finally Toronto:

No comments: